A life-limiting diagnosis means living with uncertainty and wanting control over what lies ahead. We help you find your way through the overwhelming emotions and practical realities. We'll help you and your loved ones to make the most of whatever time remains.
It's about living with an illness, rather than dying from an illness.
In-home support is the foundation of Hospice Prince Edward. Volunteers have provided respite care and companionship to palliative patients and their families in the community since 1998.
What we offer:
Respite for family caregivers is one of the greatest needs when caring for a loved one at home. When care becomes more demanding or goes on for a long period of time, caregivers are at risk of burnout.
Education and guidance to help understand our complex health care system and how to access appropriate services.
Comfort and reassurance through social, emotional, and spiritual support. Volunteers visit the client and their family in the client's residence. This could be their home, a long term care facility, our residential hospice, or hospital.
Companionship through friendly visits, outings, shared hobbies and interests
Our Volunteers are:
- thoroughly screened and reference, health, and police checked
- specialty trained, having completed 30+ hours of intensive Hospice Palliative Care education, meeting the standards set by the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA)
- offered ongoing support and educational opportunities at Hospice Prince Edward
- carefully matched with clients based on needs of the client and family, skills of volunteer, and common interests
- mature and reliable community members who give freely of their time and energy to provide quality
A referral to Hospice Prince Edward isn't giving up. It doesn't mean death is imminent and it isn't only for the final days or hours of life. Connect with our supports early. It will help you determine your needs, options and choices.
In-home visiting support is available to anyone diagnosed with a terminal illness in Prince Edward County. All our services are free of charge.