Hospice Training Course
Twice a year, Hospice Prince Edward offers a 30 hour Hospice Palliative Care Volunteer Training program. This training course requires a commitment of three hours a week for ten weeks. The course is required for all hospice residential and community visiting volunteers.
This ten week course brings volunteers together for a time of learning, sharing and relationship building. The training program provides the knowledge and support that is needed to work one-on-one with clients, or simply providing clients with companionship.
The Modules in the course include:
- Introduction to Hospice Palliative Care
- Volunteer Role & Understanding Professional Boundaries
- Communication SKills
- Paint & Symptom Management
- Understanding the Dying Process
- Grief & Bereavement
- Care for the Caregiver
- Psycho-social Issues and Impact of Illness
- Cultural Considerations
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Body Mechanics and Assists
This Hospice Prince Edward Volunteer Training Manual, Palliative Care and Grief & Bereavement Support is approved by the Hospice and Palliative Association of Ontario.